Saturday, November 7, 2009

Contractors, Critters, & Callings

CONTRACTORS --
Monday will be six weeks since I posted about looking into general contractors to build our house -- SIX WEEKS! As with everything else, this step has taken MUCH longer than I expected. Getting our bid out of the brothers I was talking about ended up being like pulling teeth. They wouldn't return Tim's numerous phone calls, took quite a bit longer to get the bid back than they had said they would, and it didn't come in at what we were hoping either. In the mean time we gave the plans to a few other general contractors to bid. We were convinced pretty quickly that the original contractors weren't the ones for us. I really liked two of the other partnerships but one worked noticeably harder to get the job AND they happen to be the ones I feel are most trustworthy (not that the others aren't trustworthy, these two just seem more so). It's another set of brothers. We went to see each of their homes last night to get an idea of the quality work they do and Tim and I both agreed that we felt best about going with them. We happened to run into one of them at Pizza Hut later last night so we let him know that they got the bid. We have some more things to get together for the credit union now to get our loan (which concerns me with the way they keep changing things on us), but I'm hoping this means that things are FINALLY going to get moving here!

CRITTERS --
We're having issues with two different kinds of critters right now. The first are the pygmy goats my parents bought for the kids last spring. The little stinkers keep getting out of their pen somehow. The black one has always been sneaky and daring and we've had issues with her jumping or climbing over the fence all along. But now the white one is getting out on a regular basis as well and we can't figure out how.

The other critters that are tormenting me are mice. You may remember that I HATE!!! mice with a passion. So of course I wasn't too happy to walk into the bathroom a few days ago and see that the dog food dish was empty other than a few mouse tracks. Tim's had the traps set since, but hasn't caught anything yet.

CALLINGS --
I got a new church calling.... sort of. I haven't officially been called (apparently the bishop hasn't had time?!?) or sustained yet so I don't know if I can say what it is, but I'm going to a meeting tonight because they think it will cover some stuff I'll need to know. Anyway, I'm a little nervous about the time it will require but I think it will be fun and it's more along the lines of what I was expecting to get when they asked me to be the Girl's Camp Director last year. I really wouldn't mind if they'd release me from teaching primary but I highly doubt they plan to.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your call, and EVERYTHING else. It will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord has various things in mind for us and it is up to us to accept with little understanding at times why, but trust and have faith in him. I love my new calling as the 2nd Sunday Relief Society teacher. Good luck with the house, and bank loan. It is unfortunately a very long, and painful process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so much going to Ragan! I don't know how you do it all!

    ReplyDelete

Anyone should be able to comment, but if you use the anonymous tab make sure to leave your name with your post. Thanks!