Friday, February 22, 2008

Recipe Book

As part of my attempt at being more organized I decided to make a recipe book. I HATE going grocery shopping! I always put it off as long as I possibly can. Partially because of the crowds and the lines, and partially because I have to come up with a list. (And, have you ever tried to take four kids to the grocery store? Okay, so I don't ever take them all, but even just two can be difficult!) When I finally sit down to make my list it's always a pain to, first of all, come up with meals for the next week or so, then to find the recipes (or pull them out of my head) to remember everything I need to buy for them. SOOOO, I decided to put them all in one place. It ended up being a bigger undertaking than I had planned for (as most of my ideas are). I typed over 60 recipes! I wanted to put them in page protectors so I decided to make them 6"X6". I found this coordinating paper in my scrapbooking stash. It was originally 12X12 so I had to cut it all down into fourths. I had a little trouble getting my printer to print on 6X6 paper, but I finally figured it out. Along with each recipe I put a "shopping list" in the top right corner with everything I would need to buy for that recipe, ingredients under the * are things I typically have on hand, but might want to check first. So, now all I have to do is grab my trusty little recipe book and flip through to find whatever sounds good that week and make my list.

My next project is going to be a master shopping list. I'm going to type up a list of everything I ever buy, then I'll just have to check off what I need each time. But, not tonight!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! I need to do the same. Maybe we should start a thing where we all type up our favorite recipies in the same format and then share them. That way we can expand our selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I am going to have to copy you. Have you seen those grocery shopping list machines at sharper image? They are so cool. I want one so bad but they are a little too pricey for us right now. Maybe one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. R, I'm going to post my grocery list/meal planning lists on my blog soon. I hate to shop, too, but the list I adapted from simplify101 has made it a lot easier for me. Also, I plan for two weeks of meals at a time so I don't have to shop as often, then I can refer back to my menu plans and just rotate them every third month, or so. Austin doesn't even notice, and it makes the planning and preparing much less tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to add that I love your 6X6 recipe format. I am working on making my recipes fit onto a half sheet of paper (landscape) to fit in a small binder with sheet protectors. I hate lugging out my big binder every time I cook.
    I also like the idea the previous post mentions of sharing recipes in the same format. I always like adding tried and true recipes to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cool idea. You should mention it to enrichment! I would make one, or we could make them with the YW for personal progress. I want one!!

    ReplyDelete

Anyone should be able to comment, but if you use the anonymous tab make sure to leave your name with your post. Thanks!