
Things still seem to be moving ever so slowly on our house, but at least they are moving :) Our friend in NV is drawing the plans for us (thanks Jacob!).
We have to have a perk test done to make sure the land will drain okay for our septic tank and I was a little concerned when EVERYBODY we talked to about it recommended a guy that I went to school with from kindergarten on up who used to tease me like crazy, but luckily he's grown up a lot. He came to start it last week but the bucket on his tractor (or whatever it is they use) broke when he got about 5 ft down and the hole has to be 10 ft. So we're waiting on him to get that fixed now..... Hopefully this isn't a sign of what's to come.
Once those things are done, we can apply for a building permit.
We talked to our Bishop's daughter and her husband who built a house this past year and acted as their own contractor, which is what we're planning on. They said they got their whole house done in 4 months, which, considering that their house is quite a bit bigger than ours is going to be, really excited me. I'd been trying to prepare myself for a year of building. They also gave us the names and #'s of ALL of the sub-contractors that they used.
Tim wants to use SIP's rather than regular framing. They're supposed to be much better insulated. They're kind of like "Big Boy Legos." They come as premanufactured panels and they're all numbered, so you just have to slide the right numbers together and secure them. They're using them in a new neighborhood in town and one of the guys told Tim that they put the exterior walls up on a 1400 sq ft. home in one day. I found this little video on-line that shows how they go together:
Interesting, huh?
I think I'm mostly looking forward to decorating my new house. I've already bought a couple of things and once we have the final plans and measurements I'm going to start working on things like window coverings. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to keep all of this stuff here.

That house is BEAUTIFUL!! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteOK - the grocery thing you can do in UT!! I will ask my gal for a UT code for you, but the website is www.grocerysmarts.com (I think they only do UT and NV so far).
Isn't life funny. A boy you went to school with is now working for you. Sounds as though things are going well for you. I love the house.
ReplyDelete