Today is the last day of school here and I am SO glad! The past two weeks have been unbelievably busy. I was going to post about everything as it happened, but I really didn't have time. I've had something going on at the elementary school every single day. All of the kids had end-of-the-year parties and the PTO donated to each party, which meant I was in charge of picking up pizza for three different classes and helping with sundaes in Emme's class. Thankfully I didn't end up having to pick up the ice cream for the sundaes because it was the same day and time I was picking up pizza for one of the other classes. The kids had their Spring Program last week where they sang all of the songs they've been learning in music. This Wednesday was "Chinese Day." They had Chinese food for lunch then the teachers set up different "Chinese" stations in their classrooms and each class went from station to station. Yesterday was field day and I was in charge of water balloon volley ball and had to fill all of the balloons for it, with some help from Nana. Today was the awards ceremony (which I had issues with......more about that in a second). I also had to get the Box Tops and Milk Lids sent off. And now it's all over! WHEW!!! And I just have four kids home all summer to drive me crazy ;) I really won't get much of a "break" until after Girl's Camp next month though.
So, about the awards ceremony -- I don't know how they've done it in the past but the principal (who wasn't even there because he is the principal of two schools and was at the other) decided this year that they were only going to recognize the most improved students rather than the top students. Am I the only one who has issues with this? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the most improved students being recognized, they SHOULD be recognized. But it's totally unfair to the kids who start out at the top of their class and stay at the top of their class. We won't name any names, but I happen to know of a couple of those students. Jarek and Emme did get recognized for their attendance -- Emme had perfect attendance and Jarek only missed one day since we moved in, but I would have preferred that they were recognized for what they've done at school and not just the fact that they were there. I'm sure I sound like a snobby overly-proud mommy, and I know it all goes back to the "No Student Left Behind" thing, but I really think something is wrong when the high-achieving students are overlooked.
That's my rant for today!
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am in total agreement on you with recognizing the students.
ReplyDeleteI know about the boxtop program but havrn't heard anything about milk lids...I wonder if my school knows about it.
Wow! you are busy.
Maybe you could do something special to recognize them during family home evening. Make a big deal out of it. Get some type of ribbons or awards and treat them to ice cream or something. I used to have a great idea book for stuff like that. I do not know where it is now.
ReplyDeleteI think it must go with recognizing students who don't normally get the recognition. As a teacher I had a handful of students this year that got ALL the "Buckaroos" for great test scores and such things. While the other students just kept struggling with a crazy teacher on their back! However, those students who are succeeding should STILL be recognized AGAIN, because they are STILL succeeding, and we ought to encourage that! I don't think No Child Left Behind says to leave out the achievers! It was probably a faculty decision...and they probably had really good intentions...but...
ReplyDeleteAlso, good for you for being in the Parent Teacher organization for your school. Our PTA here saved our lives so many times with extra money and supplies, not to mention luncheons and fun things for our students. It's a lot of extra time!
I agree! The kids who continue to do good should also be recognized. I understand with the box tops...this year people kept saying they would do them and then kept bringing everything back. So finally in February, 3 weeks before the deadline I took it over, and we came JUST short of $500. Mrs. Farley just gave me the cutest picture with a few of the kids at the beginning of the year I had never seen, and Emme happens to be in it. I will scan it and email it to you, it's darling!
ReplyDeleteI don't know about the recognition thing. I remember feeling bad every single year because I was never as smart as everyone else. Now I have a kid who also isn't quite as quick as the other students. I wonder how we can make sure each kid knows they are wonderful and valuable even if they aren't the smartest one in the class. I could be way off base : ). Clearly, I am NOT that smart! I know your kids are super stars! I just adore them!
ReplyDelete