A couple of weeks ago our ward's Young Women and their leaders did a "Media Fast," no television, internet, radio, cell phones, etc. for a week. The idea was to help us realize how much time we spend doing those things that might be spent doing something better. At first I was reluctant, I don't watch much t.v. anyway but it was hard to give up my e-mail for a week. But it was a good experience. I finished reading a couple of books I had started, caught up on some housework, cleaned out my closet, recommitted to doing "school" with Emme everyday (who is now reading quite well by the way), and other stuff that I had put off because I was "too busy." It was a good enough experience that Tim and I decided to have a "No Media" day once a week, just to help the kids see that they too can find better things to do than play video games and watch t.v. (not that I let them play video games and watch t.v. all that much anyway, but it's nice to have a day where they know to not even ask). Tristen's not too happy about it and Camden will keep bringing us the "moe" (remote) and asking to watch "Doo" (Scooby Doo), but I think it's good for them. Anyway, my point in writing about all of this was to let everyone know why I don't post on Mondays.
Yesterday was hard though because I kept wanting to see if I had more comments, which I'm loving. I was thinking that a blog kind of lets me talk to all of my friends at once, and only the ones who really want to hear have to listen. So, if you're listening, thanks!
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love that idea! Thumbs up to you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the sweet comment on my blog- I appreciate the support.
Hugs - Pep
This is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteKathy
Good idea! Cute Camden wanting the remote! Too cute! :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard about the media fasts, and I think it's a good idea. I also think it would be very difficult for me to go without using the computer. It really is my outlet as a SAHM. We don't have a T.V., nor do I have a cell phone, but going without email or blogging, that would be a challenge. But, that's the point, right? Maybe I should think about it.
ReplyDeleteLove your blog! The no media things sounds great. I think it would be almost harder than fast sunday for me. I am totally media oriented. I should give it a try. I am going to send Tim an invite to our blog so that you can check it out.
ReplyDelete