Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to School Blues?

NOT at our house! Today is a wonderful day :)

Tristen, Jarek, and Emme all started school today. I feel like such a bad mom admitting that I've been so excited for school to start and I've been counting down the days for the past couple of weeks. The kids have been at each other's throats all summer. I've done waaaaay too much refereeing. I think them being in school for several hours every day is going to be very good for all of us.

Tristen left first. I HATE that he has to ride the bus, but his school starts an hour before Jarek and Emme's and there's just no way I'm getting all four kids up earlier to run him to school, then figuring out what to do with them for an entire hour before I have to get Jarek and Emme to school. So, he rides the bus. He didn't seem to mind too much this year. He doesn't care so much for his school either, but it wasn't near as scary sending him since he's been there a year already. His school is a "Modified Student Attire" school, which is basically a step away from being a uniform school. He can wear the typical school uniform, but he can also wear black, gray, and gold/yellow, which are their school colors. Everything has to be solid colored and his shirts have to have a collar. I'm not crazy about the dress code but he does always look nice for school.

Jarek was very excited for school to start this year. He told me this morning that he didn't go to sleep til 2:00 a.m., which I'm hoping isn't true, but he insisted that he wasn't tired anyway. His best friend from last year is in his class and he couldn't wait to see him. Several of the kids from his class last year are in his class again this year so it will be fun to get to work with all of their parents again.


Up until the past week or so Emme has insisted that she did NOT want to go to school, so I was a little worried. But once we bought her new school clothes and her backpack and lunch bag and I told her that she couldn't use them until the first day of school, she changed her mind. We went to her kindergarten orientation on Friday and she got to meet her teacher and see her classroom, I think that helped too. She was happy most of this morning, she did lose it a bit when she put her shoes on...she has super sensitive feet and we have had NUMEROUS melt downs over her shoes being "too tight" even when they're a size too big. I do worry about her in school with her little attitude but hopefully that is something she'll save for home -- or even better, get over it all together. (A mom can dream, right?)

Of course, I can't post pics of my three older kids and not include one of Camden ;) This was at the Boo-Hoo Breakfast, which is a tradition for kindergarten parents at our school. There were actually parents there who were bawling, but nope, not me!



By the way -- My comments have been MUCH better this past week :) Keep it up!

15 comments:

  1. Im SO with you on the countdown! We don't start until Wed but I was ready a month ago!! Summer is great but enough is enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kind of sad about summer ending. I am glad your kids were all fairly excited and happy about school! I hope you had a great first day sans the children! I am so glad you didn't cry at boo hoo breakfast. She looked darling! Way to go with the comments! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I have enjoyed my children, but it was definately exciting for me to not have to referee today, like you. Except I still have 2 at home and so I did do a little of that today, but now as much! Kids are wonderful but they love school and love to leave home to go there, so I figured I can love to have them go. Seems fair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I wasn't bawling but when I got back into my car a few tears fell : ) I was way excited for school to start too. My kids were driving me nuts! When I got to school today it hit me that my sweet LITTLE girl was going to a BIG school and it was a little more than I could handle. I know I will be fine tomorrow but today was a little emotional for me. I hope your kids all had a fun today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ragan- I am so glad you left a comment on our blog, it was so good to hear from you. How funny you are back in Cub Scouts again, you did such a great job when we were in it together. I can't believe how much your kids have grown up and I have never even seen your last little guy- what a cutie!! Hope you guys are doing well and we'll have to keep in touch. Blogs are great for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. School is a great place for kids to learn to socialize. The teachers can handle stuff quite well so don't worry about Emme. If need be the teacher will call home and let Emme have a little chat with you. I think it is great that Tristen has a sort of dress code. He looks quite handsome in his school clothes. Coby is like Emme when it comes to those shoes. This year I have gone two sizes bigger hoping that will work. Coby tells me he needs to spread his toes. I wish Coby could ride a bus. We live too close for a bus yet to far away to walk. You have some beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids are all so cute and you have the best pictures of them! I'm sure Emme will be fine and if not her teacher will let you know. I don't know what I will be next year a bawler or if I will keep it together. I'm a little afraid I will be the bawler but at least the school Alexis will go to is only half day so she won't be gone for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we are all scared to not leave comments =) Just Kidding! I think it is perfectly normal to appreciate the first day of school, especially when you have 4 kids. I know that 1 is quite the workout, I don't even want to imagine how much worse it can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute kids you have! I am grateful I'm not at that stage yet. I'm sure it will come soon enough. :o) Looks like they're all set and ready to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful children! My first born has his first day next Tuesday and I'm petrified. I expect a full on, screaming at the top of his lungs, pulling at my pant leg MELT DOWN!! On the other hand, I expect it will make for great blogging material.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just thought I'd let you know that there is a number posted on the door to call for refunds to Bounce U. I have a pass too that still has four punches left.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey i would have left comments earlier, but i must be retarted i couldn't find it. hehe!! anyway, i found it!! yay!! now i know how to comment. Your kids are very cute, and glad they had a great day at school. Love your blog. I will leave comments..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kids are beautiful! I totally agree with you... i LOVE school starting. I love that they have more stuff to do (like homework and projects) so they don't get bored. I love having them more on a schedule. Don't get me wrong, I do love summertime, but it's always a relief for me when school starts.:) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't that sad that my kids started school either. It wasn't so much them starting as it was them getting OLDER!! I admit I'm guilty of checking out the blog on occasion and skipping the comments! I will do better I swear. I'm going to work my way up the comment ladder so you best be posting that when I win! Your kids look so cute on their first day of school. Such hotties!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blogspot. Your pictures are truely professional! It is so fun. I wish Ammon would have told me about it earlier. =)

    ReplyDelete

Anyone should be able to comment, but if you use the anonymous tab make sure to leave your name with your post. Thanks!