My best friend Jaime has been trying to get me to move back to my hometown for YEARS now. Tim flew out to UT a couple of months ago to interview for a job with the company her husband works at. We didn't hear anything and assumed they had filled the position, which they did. But then last Thursday, Dave (Jaime's husband) called and offered Tim a different position. At first I told Tim "NO!" I had decided that I was content to stay here in Vegas, I still don't care for our neighborhood but I LOVE the elementary Emme and Jarek go to and I'm really liking their teachers so far, and Tristen has had a great start to this school year as well. BUT, Tim wants to take the job, he's ready for something different. So, we're moving! If he hasn't already, he'll be giving his two weeks notice sometime today.
I'm torn! Really, I'm just feeling nauseated about the whole thing. We can't sell our house, which means we'll have to rent it -- which is scary! But we're hoping that the market is starting to pick up and we'll be able to rent it for a year or two, then sell. We'll stay at my parents' house until we figure out what we're doing. My parents are snow birds and are planning on leaving their house and heading out this way in the beginning of Oct, so we'll have their house to ourselves until next spring when they come home.
I'm really bummed about the timing. The weather is just starting to cool off here and the comfortable season is setting in....we're going to FREEZE in UT! I was freezing when I was there last JULY, and it's much cooler now and only going to get colder. My mom said it didn't even get up to 60ยบ the other day, and we're still in the 100's here. The kids are going to have to switch schools five or six weeks into the year now too. I worry about them being "the new kid." Oh, and Emme will only go to 1/2 day kindergarten -- she really is ready to be in school all day, and I'm ready for her to be in school all day! I've been absolutely enjoying my days with just Camden home and not having to go ANYWHERE after I drop Emme and Jarek off in the mornings.
I also worry about the prejudice out there. When we lived in UT I really wanted to raise my children somewhere more ethnically diverse, and Vegas definitely is that! Color hasn't been an issue for any of my kids out here. Of course, there are different issues here, that's just not one of them.
I feel bad about making the PTA find a new secretary too...and I haven't talked to anybody about it yet. Not that I think I'm irreplaceable or anything, but I don't think there's anybody else who really WANTS to do it. Our ward will have to find a new Cub Scout Committee Chair too, which I feel bad about, but not quite as bad ;)
Those are all the cons, so what are the pros?
Are there any?
Just kidding, there HAVE to be some....
My best friend is there (although, she wants to move)....and several other friends and cousins. Tim will be making a little more money and the cost of living will be less, especially if we build on the land my dad has offered us. The kids will be able to play outside during the summer, and not just in our tiny locked backyard. Our lifestyle should slow down a bit -- at first anyway, but then I'm sure we'll get just as involved there as we are here and the craziness will set back in. Tim will have more of an opportunity to advance with this job. We'll get out of our neighborhood....
Did I miss anything? My pros list seems to be much smaller than my cons. Why are we doing this again?

This won't help at all but you suck for moving!!! I completely understand all the pros and such but we are going to miss you a ton here in Vegas!!! Let me know if I can help with anything!
ReplyDeleteOh and super cute fall layout!!
ReplyDeleteOkay, so let me be sure where is the home town. Vernal? That is a dang cute picture. I love the shadow. It is a good thing that blogging and emails exist. I am disappointed though, happy for you, but disappointed. I really like the new fall blog. I hope your move is what you really want it to be. Of course if the opportunity presented itself we would move too. We are tired of being in Vegas. I have a lot of family here still though, but they're also in Utah now. How soon are you talking about? Do you need any help?
ReplyDeleteI guess I don't need to call you to find out how you are feeling. I've been really busy, I should call huh!
ReplyDeleteI think anytime we have to go through change it is never easy, but we always learn something from it. Moving is especially unnerving, even though I haven't moved forever, we wer gong to at once and there are so many mixed emotions!!! I think this is a really good opportunity for Tim and your family! I have to admit, even though it's hard for you, it will be soooooooo fun to have my best friend back HOME!!!!
Heavenly Father will put you where He wants you to be and that is the end of the story right? I hate moving too and yet I would like to move down south somewhere. I am talking Arkansas or NC someplace like that. Why...I do not know I only know it sounds good. Yet I am here and not planning on moving. Good luck on finding renters that will take care of your place. Good luck on finding a buyer. I will pray for you.
ReplyDeleteI am sad your moving. I know we aren't great friends, but I do enjoy the few times we have talked and all your help with my blog and YOU will be missed, but maybe it will be a new and great adventure in life. Good Luck, and keep us updated on your blog.
ReplyDeleteFirst, your fall layout is awesome. Lovely. :)
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I have found that often the things the Lord wants us to do, do not come at convenient times and often require us to move out of our comfort zones. I think moving to a colder climate, right after school starts, and you have to find renters, etc. etc. falls into that category.
You'll do great, but we'll be praying for you, too. :)
Well, Another positive is that you will be closer to your parents (for part of the year anyway). A new house and more money is nice! I never notice that your kids are any different colors. For real. Do you think it is really obvious? Maybe I just can't tell that good from the pictures. When I look at your pictures all I see are beautiful children and loving parents. I will be praying for you Ragan! I know moving is a big deal. I wish I could help you.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm just about to be closer to vegas. We're moving to St George! Dangit! I have nothing good to offer, I miss vegas all the time! You'll adjust! I promise, I did!
ReplyDeleteI'm sad you are leaving but change can be fun and good. Who will help me stay in touch with the VB ward through play groups ; )
ReplyDeleteOn the renting note. We did evict our old tenant but have had a really easy time finding SANE normal people this go around. Good Luck with everything!
Wow, Ragan! Lots of changes! I'll admit that your pro list is shorter, but their impact is larger.
ReplyDeleteYou will have an easier way of life, free land (you really can't top this with the current economy!) and a happier husband.
You forgot to list one of the biggest 'pros' in my book:
less traffic!!
Hey mama! I'm so excited you're moving closer to me! I know the winters are horrible and cold, but maybe it'll be a good change for you guys. Some of my favorite memories are of the weeks I'd spend down with you and your family each summer when we were younger and the fun we used to have wandering around and playing everywhere! I think the kids will really enjoy that!
ReplyDeleteSo I'll be the first to say Welcome Home!!!! lol
xoxoxo,
your favorite cousin Andrea
I don't know how I missed this post. I was reading the post above and at the end you started talking about moving and I was way confused! I had to scroll down to find what you were talking about. That is so sad you are moving so far! I know we don't see each other a lot but it is so nice when we do run into each other shopping. You will definitely be missed by all. Good luck in Utah. I am glad we can still be blogging buddies!
ReplyDeleteWe are renting out our condo by you and it has gone really well. We tried Craig's list but it was hard to find good and reliable people to rent. We ended up finding our renters through the newspaper and they have been awesome. I hope that helps a little. I know moving can be so STRESSFUL!
If I would've read your blog a week ago I would've had a few more days to adjust. I was wanting to follow the denial you were in. Anyway, I love you and will miss you so much. I'm sorry I wasn't a better friend when you were living here! It was fun seeing you guys this afternoon. I hope we didn't take you away from packing for too long. I LOVE the picture of Camden and Eaton. I wish Kyla and Camden wouldn't have been so repelled by each other. They were too funny! And thanks so much for photographing my girls. They LOVED it so much!
ReplyDeleteWhat an airhead I am...I meant to put...what a cute pic of Camden and Emme. How silly of me.
ReplyDeleteHey Ragan! Your mom showed me this picture the other day and I had to come see it again and say how much I love it! I LOVE silhouettes, and this one is awesome!
ReplyDeleteWe need to play again, before I move back. I've got some ideas...
Happy moving! (is that what they call an oxymoron?!)
Your "other" favorite cousin,
Tina
P.S. How did the anniversary (bday?) go?