I mentioned in my last post that we had found house plans that we liked... actually, we found a couple, but they're quite similar and this is the one I like the best:



However, nothing is happening so far! I was feeling really frustrated yesterday, there's so much red tape to get through before we can even get started. My dad is giving us three acres to build on, but the building codes out here in the middle of nowhere require five acres (or so we thought), my uncle owns the two acres adjacent so we could probably get it from him without too much of a problem. BUT, they wanted my dad to own the full 10 acres before he could give us 5. Which meant getting the land surveyed, which there is currently a 7 MONTH waiting list for! (Or that's what it would be if we couldn't pull some strings). Then, we were told that my parents already have a variance to have two dwellings on their property from when they moved my grandma's trailer (which actually belongs to my uncle) up here so they could take care of her....the trailer is still sitting here with renters now, and that would have to go. BUT, the variance is on the property in my dad's name and the bank won't loan on a house that is not on our own property, which brought us back to our starting point. Then we found out that we could apply for a variance on the whole 5 acre requirement and that the county will typically accept as little as 2 1/2 acres.... but again we'd have to have the land surveyed (with the 7 MONTH wait). The surveyors needed the deed to the property before they could put us on their waiting list....and of course my parents have no idea where it is. SO, Tim went to the county courthouse today to get a copy from them (and even they had a hard time finding it) and FINALLY, some good news! There are two different deeds on my dad's property, which have been combined only for tax purposes but can be separated back out. One for the five acres his home is on, and another for the three we're going to build on. So, my dad can just quitclaim deed the three acres to us. Tim talked to the surveyor and he said that we probably don't even need to have it surveyed, we just need to get the health dept. to grant us a variance to build on only three acres and we're good to go! Or good to start on the LOOOONG list of requirements they gave us...although this was all part of steps 2 & 3. (#1 was our name, address, and phone #.)
Sorry, this got kind of long. But now that I have you all caught up to speed, I'll try to post more often about it

I like it. It looks big enough that dad and I can move in with you in our old age. Glad you got some good news today. We love you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great house! I hope it all works out and you can get it the way you want!! :)
ReplyDeleteI really like the house and plans and was thinking you could extend, the kitchen some into the dining area if you don't want it for a dining area anyway. You could also do that with the laundry room and have more space for what you want. As well as open it up for more of a family room. I love the big front porch and back window. I also love lots of light.
ReplyDeleteI love the house! I want a new house so desperately. We've been renting ever since jace was in pharmacy school. I'm so over it. Let us know what you decide!
ReplyDeleteLooks so nice and you're so lucky to have LAND to build on! Jacob's an architect and he has free time if you need help with that part...
ReplyDeleteHow amazingly beautiful! I am going to pray that the red tape will magically disappear for you during this process : )! Hugs to you, my friend!
ReplyDeleteI just got caught up with you...I haven't been to your site for awhile. Hard for me to be still long enough to read anything...I am just really nervous now. Anyways. I love the house plans. My kind of house. Hope things start going better for you.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! Love the plans, but so sorry you are having headaches getting things started. Just repeat to yourself: it will be worth it. :) Hang in there!
ReplyDelete