Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bronchitis!

I hate doctors! I avoid going to them at all costs. In fact, I hadn't been to a doctor since I went in for my follow-up appointment after having Camden (I know, that means I'm quite overdue for a few things). I just feel like they play the guessing game most of the time and are way too eager to pass out prescriptions. I've even pretty much stopped taking my kids to the doctor, other than for their shots and routine physicals. I got sick of sitting in their waiting rooms for hours, with my kids getting exposed to who-knows-what, only to be told to rotate Tylenol and Motrin or getting a prescription I was more worried about giving than not giving to my kid.

BUT, I could not get over this cold! I'd typically feel a little better when I'd wake up in the morning, then it would all set back in as the day went on. The fever and chills kept coming back. By yesterday afternoon I was coughing CONSTANTLY, so hard that I felt like I was going to throw up and couldn't breathe. So I gave in and called Tim and told him I needed to go to the doctor. He started talking to me about insurance and finding out who I could go to and a bunch of stuff that I really didn't care about right then. So I called my mom instead and she called the hospital to find out what time the after-hours clinic opened and who was there (she used to work at the hospital) and told me to go right in. When Tim got home he still had to get on the computer to look up our insurance (what if I had been dying??? Can I seriously ONLY get medical care if it's covered by our insurance? With as much as I hate doctors he should know that if I say I need to go to one, I really NEED to go to one.) So by the time we got there, there were a ton of people ahead of us. We waited over 2 hours! Kind of reminded us of the ER in Vegas. When they finally called me back the nurse took my temperature and it was 103.6! She said I won for the highest temperature all night. Ironically, I didn't think I was very warm at that point. The doctor came in and after asking all of his questions said it "looks like" bronchitis. So that's what he treated me for. He prescribed an antibiotic and I asked for cough medicine, which was really what I was after to begin with. He said he really didn't like to suppress a cough, but prescribed a cough syrup anyway to help me sleep.

BUT, I have to admit, the antibiotic is already working. I feel a ton better today. I can actually get through a sentence without coughing. Now I'm wishing I had gone in sooner. So, I guess doctors aren't all bad.......but I still don't like them!

6 comments:

  1. It is no fun being that sick. Nor is it to wait around forever to see a doctor. Especially when the kids get restless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily we didn't have the kids with us. It's great having Tristen as our built-in baby-sitter now. And they even cleaned the house up a bit while we were gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree!!! I HATE doctors. I know they can help and are there to help, but I hate waiting in their waiting rooms for hours. last time i went to see my doc for a regular visit, 3 hours.. I was NOT happy!! Glad you finally went and I hope you start feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel much the same way! I can't stand them at all. I had one that I LOVED when I was growing up! I told him I was fat and all my friends were normal and he said "You are special because God made you exactly like He did." How can you NOT love a Dr. like that.

    I am glad you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I haven't been over here to visit since Monday. I usually check evry other day or so.

    I am in total agreement with you about doctors. I have always told Karl "if I don't know what is wrong with me then the doc won't either". Look at me now though...on oxygen full time because I don't like docs.

    Hope you feel much better now. I am so glad we finally got to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I never thought for one minute that taking off on Saturday and Sunday would make me lose my top spot over here... I am going to have to re think this : ).

    Can you enter I heart faces this week? You have some DAZZLING pictures of Emme in a hat. I know you do. Pretty please. I know you will be a winner again.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone should be able to comment, but if you use the anonymous tab make sure to leave your name with your post. Thanks!