Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grand Cayman

Our second port of call was in Grand Cayman. Actually, they didn't have a port there so we had to take little boats called tenders from the ship to land. We went on the "Discovering Caymans" tour. Our first stop was in a little town called Hell. Yep, Hell! Named so because of the extremely thick coral in places. We stopped at the post office, but I just couldn't bring myself to send a post card telling somebody that I wished they were there ;)

After Hell we went to the Turtle Farm and saw hundreds of giant sea turtles. They had several different kinds and in all different sizes (except tiny babies at the time). We got to hold one that was around a year old. The tour guide said that only young kids could hold the smaller ones because adults were too stressed and that their tension could transfer to the turtles and kill them. Interesting, huh? I wonder if that's true.

From there we loaded another little boat and took a 30 minute ride away from land to Stingray City. It was pretty cool to be so far out in the ocean and yet the water was shallow enough that we could walk around. The water was also crystal clear and the sand was white. They stopped the boat and let everybody off the back and there were stingrays everywhere. That was Tim's favorite part of the whole trip. I did get in the water for a minute and hold one, but it didn't excite me as much as it did Tim.

I have some more random pictures of our cruise that I'll post next time.

3 comments:

  1. Your cruise looks like so much fun and a great break for you and Tim. I bet getting back in the grove of normal life makes you want to go back for a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute postcard...at least you got one for yourself. Looks like a lot of fun. Something I just noticed was that the pictures on the left side are fairly close to the slideshow. What is really cute is when Camden's 2 thumbs up shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ragan! I just love going on your trip with you in my imagination : )! Very fun pictures. SO funny about the postcards saying that. Wish you were in Hell! CRAZY! We have a place near here called Intercourse, Pa. Is that HILARIOUS? I have seen some funny post cards from there too!

    ReplyDelete

Anyone should be able to comment, but if you use the anonymous tab make sure to leave your name with your post. Thanks!