Monday, July 20, 2009

50 Miler



Tristen had to meet at the church at 5:00 this morning for a week long Kings Peak 50 Miler Scout Camp. I really do not understand these trips. I think their main purpose might be to torture the mommies who stay behind and worry. I didn't encourage him to go on this one, in fact I was pretty sure he was staying home. But then Tim got called to be his Deacon's Quorum leader and Scout Master and suddenly couldn't take the time off to stay home with Camden while I went to Girl's Camp because he had to go to Scout Camp (my parents took the other kids to my mom's family reunion). So I figured Tristen would have to go. THEN, I find out that Tim isn't going on the 50 miler (he's planning ANOTHER scout camp..... possibly for next week!) but Tristen had already committed to go. UGH! I was originally told that they would only have to carry their heavy backpacks 10 miles or so on the first day to their campground, then back out on the last day, and would go on shorter hikes each day without the heavy packs. But now I'm being told that their camp is more like 20 miles in and they won't even make it there until tomorrow. Which means only 10 of the 50 will be without their heavy packs. Tristen did go on a practice hike last week with two of the boys who are with him. We figured he hiked about 8 miles, but he didn't have his pack near as loaded as it was this morning. Another big concern for me is the fact that they're taking pack horses, which is good because they don't have to carry quite as much themselves, but Tristen is extremely allergic to horses. We started him on Claritin yesterday -- I just hope it works!

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a joy! Allergy and all. Merik did a long hike and bought a light tent and various other things to lighten his load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really hard to turn loose of our children. Put him in Heavenly Father's loving hands and then you will know that everything will be all right.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone should be able to comment, but if you use the anonymous tab make sure to leave your name with your post. Thanks!